The work of the Division of Industrial Compliance falls into 4 main areas:
- Construction: the Division reviews building plans for the construction & renovation of commercial & public building projects; conducts inspections of plumbing, electrical and structural systems.
- Mechanical systems: the Division inspects mechanical systems including steam engines and boilers, hydronics, escalators, elevators and the lifts inside structures for wind turbines;
- Maintenance: The Division provides testing and inspection of bedding, upholstered furniture and stuffed toys; annual inspection of ski lifts and roller skating rinks.
- Wage & Hour: the Division investigates complaints related to the Ohio minimum wage, prevailing wage and the employment of minors in Ohio.
The Division of Industrial Compliance works with
- Board of Building Standards, which sets the building code for the State of Ohio and provides training and certification for local building authorities across Ohio;
- Board of Building Appeals, which hears requests for variance from the Ohio Building Code;
- Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board, which provides testing and licensure of occupations regulated to the commercial construction industry.