Web Content Viewer

Bedding License Facts

Frequently asked questions concerning the bedding, upholstered furniture, and stuffed toy section. If you have any additional questions not addressed, please reach out to the bedding section at ohiobedding@com.state.oh.us.

What is a Bedding License?

A Bedding License provides the ability to those who wish to import, distribute, or manufacture bedding, upholstered furniture, and stuffed toy products in the state of Ohio. Additionally, this license allows for the resale of these products by renovators, second-hand dealers, and auction houses. Finally, the license allows for recreation vehicle and mobile home dealers to offer their products for sale in Ohio. Articles such as cushion seats and mattresses contained within the recreation vehicles and mobile homes also fall within the jurisdiction of this license.

How long is a Bedding License good?

The license is valid for a period of one year and it is required to be renewed on an annual basis.

How do I apply for a license?

Bedding License applications can be obtained on our website by clicking here. Alternatively, you may request a registration packet, including instructions on completion, to be emailed or mailed to you.

Are there any other requirements to licensing?

Importers, distributors, and wholesalers of regulated articles are required to obtain a license. Importers, distributors, and wholesalers are required to apply for the desired license. Manufacturers are also required to obtain a license. Manufacturers need to submit the application, a sample of their product for testing, and two law labels to our laboratory. The filling materials will be tested, and the law labels reviewed to ensure proper identification of the filling materials. If corrections to the law label are necessary, notification will be provided. If the sample contains blended fiber materials, please refer to the next question.

My products contain blended fiber filling material(s).  How/where do I get these articles tested?

The state of Ohio no longer conducts analytical tests on products that contain blended fiber(s).  You will need to have these products tested by a designated testing laboratory that has been approved by the State of Ohio.  Once your product has been tested, our office will need the laboratory report of analysis, in English language, that identifies the filling material(s) along with the percentages of the materials contained in the product.  We will also need the product law label or a proposed draft of the law label along with a picture of the completed product.  For a complete list of these laboratories, please click here.

Once I have my products that contain blended fiber(s) tested, how do I obtain a new state of Ohio registration?

Once you receive the test results, our office will need the following items: Application, application fee in the amount of $50.00, a copy of the designated laboratory report of analysis, a picture of the completed product, and the product law label or a proposed draft of the law label.  If you hold a registration from another state, we will also need a copy of that current state’s license.

Does the approval designation apply to my satellite laboratory locations?

Yes, the approval designation applies to the applicant and all its owned satellite locations.

Are secondhand products required to be sanitized?

Yes, any second-hand article that contains hidden fillers or stuffing is required to be sanitized prior to being offered for sale.

How will I know when it is time to renew my license?

You need to renew your license prior to the expiration date indicated on your certificate. Our office will make every effort to send a renewal notice prior to the expiration date.

What are annual reports and how will I know when to pay?

Annual reports are used to notify registrants that .04 cents per article sold or offered for sale in Ohio is due. Annual notices are mailed along with the annual renewal invoice approximately 30 days prior to the registration expiration date. The information for these reports represents activity for the 12 months prior to the registration expiration date. The annual report is to be returned to the division within 30 days of receipt of the notice.

I make 100 or fewer items per year, but I do set up in a craft mall. Do I still need to be registered? 

Yes. Any vendor that uses craft malls, consignment stores or flea markets are required to register because these are business entities and are not considered leisure pursuits.

I make different items. Do I have to submit one of each item for testing?

Yes, but only if the filling materials change from product to product. If the filling content does not vary, only one sample is required.

How often is testing required?

Only once if your filling content remains the same. Additional testing will be required if/when filling content changes.