This policy is generated to provide general policies and procedures for the approval of building demolition according to the provisions in Section 3303 Ohio Building Code.
- This application is for the demolition of the entire building and no new building will be constructed at the same location.
- If a new building will be constructed at the same location right after the demolition of the old building(s), the building demolition work can be included in the new building construction permit; no need for an additional demolition permit.
- A partial building demolition or interior demolition is considered a building alteration project that should be reviewed under the application for building plan approval; not a building demolition permit application.
- Apply in paper format: To apply by mail you may contact our office for the DIC 3221 form by submitting request in the Contact Us page.
- The building demolition application is NOT available through DIC web portal.
Application documents required
- Application form: Complete and submit one copy of the “Application for Building Demolition” (DIC3221) and fees for each building.
- An affidavit or letter signed by the building owner to acknowledge and authorize the building demolition.
- Plan requirements: Submit three (3) sets of construction plans and documents (plans are NOT necessarily required to be sealed by an Ohio registered design professionals), at a minimum, shall include the following:
- Site details: Construction documents shall show the location of the building to be demolished, location of adjacent buildings and their means of egress, details of pedestrian protection/barriers, as well as dimensions to the interior property lines and/or streets. Fire department access shall be maintained as per the local fire official.
- Building details: The plans shall indicate the extent of the removal of the building footing/foundations, specifications on back-fill materials, ground elevations/topography after completion, means of preventing water accumulation, adjacent property protection, utility capping/disconnection information, etc.
- Building Service/Fire Protection details: The plans shall indicate locations of portable fire extinguishers, maintaining required means of egress in the building during demolition.
Other Agencies and Code Requirements
- Building demolition shall comply with provisions for pedestrian protection, adjoining property protection, vacant lot conditions, water accumulation, and utility disconnections in accordance with Ohio building Code Section 3303.
- The Ohio EPA Division of Air Pollution must be notified even if no asbestos or other hazardous materials are present. Contact Ohio EPA at 614-644-2270. Notification forms can be obtained at www.epa.ohio.gov.
- The Ohio Department of Health must be notified if more than 50 lineal feet of 50 square feet of asbestos is present. Contact the Ohio Department of Health at 614-466-0016. Notification of abatement forms can be obtained at www.odh.ohio.gov.
- Always contact the local Fire Department prior to demolition. You may search for local fire departments on-line at www.comapps.ohio.gov/sfm/fire_apps/fmpr/FDLookup/.