Web Content Viewer
Temporary (Event) Permit Info
Temporary (Event) Permit Info

Temporary (Event) Permit Info

Useful Tips

Ohio has many different kinds of temporary permits.

  • To learn more about who qualifies for each type temporary permit and what types of alcohol you can sell at each event, including any other unique rules or limitations, view the Temporary FAQ Chart.


***Liquor permitting, including temporary permits, can be legally complex. While we will answer questions to the best of our ability, staff cannot provide legal advice. Likewise, this webpage is for illustration purposes only and should NOT be considered legal advice. There can be many factors and variables applicable to your situation that are not covered on these pages. Because we cannot provide you specific legal advice, you should always consider consulting your own liquor attorney for personalized advice.*** 

Heading 2

For faster processing, apply online!

  • The benefit of using our online portal is that you can:
    • Submit documents; and
    • Use more secure and convenient payment options like credit card and electronic debits.

You must submit your application at least 30 days in advance of your event.

  • Many temporary permit applications require us to get information from your local county board of elections so we can determine whether alcohol sales are allowed (i.e., wet/dry status) at your applied for location.  

HINT:  Just because a bar is located two blocks away that sells alcohol does not mean that your location can sell alcohol.   Generally, a person or businesses ability to sell alcohol at a particular location is both applicant and location specific.   

  • We only request this information from the local board of elections after you have applied.  
  • Therefore, applications submitted less than 30 days from the event date are at risk of not getting issued in time for your event.

Temporary permit holders are, minus very limited exceptions, subject to the same rules as any other on-premises D class permit holder.

  • This means that a temporary permit holder must (below list is not exclusive):

o    Purchase its alcohol from either a licensed manufacturer or distributor 

HINT: You cannot go to your local grocery store and buy beer/wine and resell it at your event;

o    Prevent underage sales and not serve intoxicated patrons; and

o    Minus any limited exceptions, not violate Ohio’s Tied House laws, which means the temporary permit holder cannot accept help (financial or labor) from a licensed manufacturer or distributor.  

HINT: Exclusive agreements like I’ll give you “x” money if you agree to sell only my beer are not permitted.  

  • Remember, the temporary permit holder is responsible for any liquor permit violations that occur at the event so be careful if you decide to have other groups/companies assist with running your event as it is your reputation and permit that is on the line.
  • An application does not mean your permit has been issued. You must have your permit document in hand before you can start selling and purchasing alcohol for your event.  

DORAs and temporary permits.

  • A qualifying temporary permit holder that is located within an existing DORA will receive a DORA designation upon issuance of the temporary permit.  
  • To better understand what a DORA is, please review our DORA information.
  • Alcoholic drinks sold by the temporary permit holder in the locally approved DORA cups for consumption on the temporary permit premises can be removed from the temporary permit into the DORA for further consumption. But,

o    People cannot take or consume their DORA drinks from other DORA designated permit holders onto the temporary permit premises. 

o    The temporary permit premises cannot block the entrance or exit of any other liquor permit holder within the DORA. 

HINT: The larger footprint that you make the temporary permit premises the smaller the DORA is for other patrons to use.