We require an applicant to complete two types of background checks during the application process:
- A local police check using the our Personal History Background Form (#4121); and
- An Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) fingerprint webcheck, which lists an individual’s criminal record. See process described below.
Persons Required to Get Both Background Checks
The following persons are required to get both background checks completed:
- A sole proprietor (individual) applicant (i.e., liquor permit will be in the name of Jane Doe);
- Any general partner in a partnership (see Form #4031);
- Officers listed in Section C of the our Officer/Shareholder Disclosure Form #4030 or Section B of the Limited Liability Company (LLC) Disclosure Form #4032;
- Shareholders listed in Section D of Form #4030 who hold 5% or more shares of stock in the corporation;
- Persons listed in Section C of Form # 4032 with a 5% or more membership or voting interest in the LLC, including any managing members;
- A spouse of any of the above identified persons who will work at the permit premises (see the "General Questions" area of our new applications and Question 2b of our transfer applications ; and
- The person listed in Section C of the our Non-Profit Entity Disclosure Form # 4029 who is responsible for overseeing the organization’s food and beverage operations.
How do I complete the above background check process?
Local Police Check
The Applicant, and persons listed above, submit a signed and completed Personal History Background Form #4121 to us. We send this form to the applicable local police department to conduct a background investigation. The local police department will send the results to us.
BCI Fingerprint WebCheck
The process depends on whether the person needing the check is in Ohio.
- Ohio residents, including persons who can visit an Ohio webcheck location, should go to any:
- Business listed below as these locations are familiar with how to properly process liquor permit application background checks;
- Ohio Attorney General BCI-approved WebCheck location; or
- Ohio City/Township Police or County Sheriff Department.
- Applicants residing outside of Ohio who cannot go to any of the above locations should:
- Things to know:
- We will receive the results directly from BCI. It is IMPORTANT that you send us your personal history form and complete the BCI check as soon as possible to avoid any delays in the licensing process.
- Regardless of what option you choose above, you MUST list Reason Code ORC 4303.29(A).
- Ask the webcheck facility to send the results electronically to us. If you are using a printcard at an out of state location, please list our address in the “where to send the results” box. We will NOT accept results directly from Applicants.
- Pay any applicable fees. Please note that a webcheck location may charge a service fee.
- In most cases, BCI sends its results electronically to us. If you completed the process in Ohio, we receives the results within approximately 1 week. Result times may vary for individuals who did not use a webcheck facility.
Background Check Businesses
(last revised 7/23/2021)
|1) AAA Background Checks
|15) Corporate Screening Services, Inc.
|29) Secure Check Inc.
|2) Accurate Investigative Services
|16) Ellet License Services
|30) Security Hut, Inc.
|3) Affirmatrace Background
Columbus 614-818-9392 OR
|17) Fast fingerprints – a National
Background Check, Inc., Company
-Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati,
Toledo, Cleveland & Northern Ohio
|31) Statewide Identification Services
Cuyahoga Falls License Bureau
|4) Affordable Fingerprinting, LLC
(By Appointment Only)
|18) High 5 Fingerprinting LLC
|32) TraceBack Screening
Mentor – (440) 510-0330
|5) Akron Urban League
|19) Integrity Verifications, Inc.
|33) Van Wert License Bureau
Van Wert 419-238-9399
|6) Amerisearch Background Alliance
|20) Imperative Defense, LLC
614-548-0309, Ext. 101
|34) Young Enterprise Solutions Inc.
|7) Background Check Specialist, Inc.
|21) Master Security, Inc.
|8) Background Management
|22) Mobile Fingerprinting Solutions
|9) Biometric Information
Hilliard OR Dublin Area Location
Sarasota, FL 941-955-8400
(By Appointment Only)
|23) Nationwide Background Checks
Commercial Point 614-877-3357
|10) Bowsher License Bureau #15
|24) On Demand Drug Testing and Work
|11) Columbus Police Department
|25) PrintChek LLC
Lewis Center 740-548-9555
|12) Confidential Solutions, Inc.
|26) Refcheck Information Services, Inc.
Dublin 614-656-1165, x13
|13) Copeland Oaks
Sebring 330- 938-1502
|27) SafeGuard Background Screening
|14) Corporate Investigative
North Olmsted 440-614-0100
|28) Sandusky License Bureau