Web Content Viewer
Renewal/Existing Permit Info
Renewal/Existing Permit Info

Renewal/Existing Permit Info

Existing permit holders can use the information on these webpages to learn more about how and when to renew a liquor permit, how to expand or decrease the size of your existing permit location, how to cancel your existing permit, or how to add an additional permit class to your existing location.

Renewal Timeframes

Per Ohio Revised Code (R.C.) 4303.27, all permits renew annually at one of three points depending on location and/or type of permit. The three renewal periods are February 1st, June 1st, or October 1st. Class C (carryout) or D (on-premises) renewals are determined by location. You can review this tri-colored map to determine your exact renewal date. Please note that if you have several permits under the same name that are located in different parts of the state, you will have to renew those permits during the times specified based up on the locations for each.  Also note that Class A, B, H, W, B2a, S-1, and S-2 permits, regardless of where located, renew October 1st.

For each renewal you must submit a completed renewal application AND pay any renewal fees, which vary based upon class of permit.

Application Process

Renewal applications can be submitted through the online portal. Once your permit is available to renew online, the Division will send you an "invitation letter" with information on how to access the renewal portal. Paper applications will be mailed approximately 60 days prior to the permit expiration date to permit holders that did not file in the renewal portal.

 Applications must be filled out in their entirety and signed by the:

  • permit holder if sole proprietor;
  • partner if partnership;
  • corporate officer, 5% or more stockholder if corporation;
  • managing member, individual with 5% or greater membership or voting interest if Limited Liability Company; OR
  • club officer if a D4.

Renewal applications received after 15 days prior to the expiration must submit a 10% penalty fee pursuant to R.C. 4303.271.

Changes to Your Officers, Shareholders, or Membership

If you identify a change in who is listed on your permit you must notify us of that change.  We may, depending on the change, require additional documentation from you and/or a transfer application may need to be filed.  Some of types of changes include, death of a member (generally and obituary or death certificate is needed), person(s) sold all or part of their interest in the business to new members (i.e., permit remains ABC, Inc, but instead of you being the 100% shareholder, you had another partner enter the business, which now makes you both 50/50 shareholders), or your ownership remained the same but your officers changed.  

Changes in Your Operational Status

You also need to let us know if your location(s) is no longer operating.   For instance, maybe you moved or lost tenancy.  When this happens you need to notify us so that we can determine if your permit needs placed in either Closing Authority or Safekeeping.  Failure to do so timely not only violates Ohio law but may negatively affect your tax reporting and obligations.  

Tax Obligations 

Each renewal cycle, we are required to notify the Ohio Department of Taxation of all eligible permit holders subject to renewal.  Taxation then tells us whose permits are delinquent in their tax filings such that we cannot renew their permit until those outstanding tax issues are resolved per R.C. 4303.271(D).  You get a letter from tax and a courtesy letter from us prior to your permit expiring. Moreover, if your taxes are not resolved when you file to renew your permit you'll get an Order from us.  Even if you think you cannot pay, do NOT ignore possible tax issues on your renewal.  Contact Taxation at the information provided in the correspondence to figure out what you need to do.  

Renewal Objections and Notifications

Objections to the renewal of a class C and D permit must be filed 30 days prior to the expiration of the permit by only the legislative authority of the Municipal Corporation, Board of Township Trustees or the Board of County Commissioners pursuant to R.C. 4303.271. In the event an objection is filed, the division shall conduct a hearing to determine whether the renewal shall be denied.