Web Content Viewer

Temporary Permits Guide

Temporary Permits Guide

Ohio’s liquor control laws contain special provisions designed to allow nonprofit organizations to obtain temporary liquor permits to sell or serve alcoholic beverages at limited functions. There are several different classes of temporary permits available, however, the most widely utilized are the “F” and “F-2”.

For more complete information regarding temporary permits, see Ohio Revised Code sections 4303.20 through 4303.2012.

***This webpage is for illustration purposes only and should NOT be considered legal advice. There can be many factors and variables applicable to your situation that are not covered above. Because we cannot provide you legal advice, you should always consider consulting your own liquor attorney for personalized advice.*** 

Heading 2

When is a Permit Needed?

  • A permit is required if a qualified organization intends to provide beer, or intoxicating liquor (wine, mixed beverages of spirituous liquor) either for sale by the drink or through the use of an entrance fee, cover charge, etc.
  • No permit is required if an individual or organization intends to provide beer, or intoxicating liquor at a private function where access is restricted to invited guests only, such as a wedding reception, for which no admission fee is charged or any alcoholic beverages sold. 

What Organizations are Eligible to Obtain a Temporary Permit?

  • The type of nonprofit organization that may qualify for a temporary permit depends on the type of applied for permit. Some examples are charitable organizations, labor unions and fraternal, educational, cultural and social groups. In most cases, a permit may be issued for use at a social, recreational, charitable, fraternal, political, patriotic or athletic function, however certain temporary permits specify the limited use that the permit can be issued.
  • NO temporary permit can be issued for the profit or gain of a private individual or to a for-profit organization.

What Kinds of Temporary Permits are Available?

  • An F permit allows the holder to sell beer by the glass for a period of no longer than five days. The application, including the $40 fee, must be filed 30 days before the date of the function. Only two F permits may be issued for any organization in a 30-day period. (Ohio Revised Code Section "ORC" 4303.20
  • An F-2 permit allows a nonprofit organization to sell beer, wine and spirituous liquor by the drink for no longer than four days in an area that has been voted wet through local option for beer and wine. (There are no Sunday local option restrictions if the permit is issued for an event that takes place on other days of the week in addition to Sunday.)
    • Regular permit holders, such as bars and restaurants, may assist an F-2 permit holder by serving alcoholic beverages. An application for such an event must be filed jointly by the organization and the regular permit holder, along with the $160 fee. All documents must include both names.
    • If the event is to be held on the premises of the regular permit holder, an affidavit must be submitted from the regular permit holder stating that their permit privileges will not be utilized during the F-2 event.
    • The application, including the $150 fee ($160 if filed jointly with a D permit holder), must be filed 30 days before the date of the function.
    • Only one F2 permit may be issued to an organization in any 30-day period. (ORC 4303.202)

Additional Temporary Permits:

  • F-1: Temporary “Special Function” permit for certain nonprofit organizations at a municipal convention center. Fee is $250. (ORC 4303.201)
  • F-3: Beverage alcohol industry education event. Fee is $300. (ORC 4303.203)
  • F-4: Certain nonprofit organizations for an event that includes the introduction, showcasing or promotion of wines produced in Ohio. Allows the furnishing of 2 oz. samples and sale for onpremises consumption and carry out of wine from participating A-2 permit holders. The fee is $60 per day. (ORC 4303.204)
  • F-5: Beer and intoxicating liquor issued to a riverboat at a festival sponsored by a non-profit organization (6 days - one permit per calendar year). Fee is $180. (ORC 4303.205)
  • F-6: For 501(C)(3) non-profit organizations to sell wine at an event organized by, conducted by, and for the benefit of the nonprofit organization. Fee is $50. (ORC 4303.206)
  • F-7: Beer, wine, mixed beverages, and spirituous liquor issued to a nonprofit organization at a “qualified golf event,” meeting certain criteria. (8 days - two permits per calendar year). Fee is $450. (ORC 4303.207)
  • F-8: For a non-profit organization that manages publicly-owned property located in a county with a population exceeding 750,000. Fee is $1,700. (ORC 4303.208)
  • F-9: For a non-profit organization that operates a city or village park located in Franklin County, or a non- profit corporation that provides or manages entertainment programming for a non-profit corporation that operates a city or village park in Franklin County. Fee is $1,700. (ORC 4303.209)
  • F-10: Sales of tasting samples of wine manufactured by an A-2 or S permit holder conducted at a registered farmers market, or in sealed containers for consumption off premises. Fee is $100. (ORC 4303.2010)

Please download the file available in the page for additional FAQs.

Purchase of Products to be Sold:

  • Beer, wine and mixed beverages must be purchased from a brewery, winery, or wholesale distributor. A temporary permit holder is prohibited from purchasing beer or intoxicating liquor at retail for resale.
  • Spirituous liquor must be purchased from a Contract Liquor Agency.

DORAs and temporary permits

  • A qualifying temporary permit holder that is located within an existing DORA will receive a DORA designation upon issuance of the temporary permit.
  • To better understand what a DORA is, please review our DORA information. 
  • Alcoholic drinks sold by the temporary permit holder in the locally approved DORA cups for consumption on the temporary permit premises can be removed from the temporary permit into the DORA for further consumption. But,
    • People cannot take or consume their DORA drinks from other DORA designated permit holders onto the temporary permit premises. 
    • The temporary permit premises cannot block the entrance or exit of any other liquor permit holder within the DORA. 
  • The larger you make the temporary permit premises, the smaller the DORA is for other patrons to use.

Other Requirements:

  • Any temporary permit applicant must notify the Chief Peace Officer of the political subdivision of the date, time, place and duration of the event by use of the form supplied by us. In addition, these applicants must submit a form signed by the real property owner(s) where the event is to be held giving consent to the sale of alcoholic beverages at the special function.
  • Each application for a temporary permit must include a description, including a drawing, of the area where alcoholic beverages will be consumed. For example, an organization holding a picnic in a park must submit a drawing of the specific location in the park where liquor will be served or consumed, and the type of barriers (e.g. fence, rope, etc.) that will separate the designated permit premises from other areas.


  • All temporary permit holders must cease sales by 1:00 a.m.
  • All temporary permit sales are for on-premises consumption unless carryout sales are expressly permitted by law.
  • The liquor permit must be posted in a conspicuous place on the premises.
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be served at an event until we issue the proper permit for the event.
  • No person shall sell beer or intoxicating liquor to an underage person, or buy beer or intoxicating liquor for, or furnish it to, an underage person.
  • It is a violation of Ohio liquor law for alcoholic beverage products to be donated to a temporary permit holder unless the donation of the product is expressly permitted by law.
  • Temporary liquor permit holders cannot sell or serve an unlimited number of drinks for a onetime admission charge. (Ohio Administrative Code Section 4301: 1-1-50)