Applicants for a Ohio real estate broker license must hold an active Ohio salesperson license for two (2) of the last five (5) years and comply with the following requirements:
- If licensed prior to 1/01/1972, no further education is due
- If licensed from 1/02/72 to 1/03/84, you must have taken the required 120 hours (courses #1 - 4 listed below)
- If licensed on or after 1/03/84, you must have taken courses #1 - 8 listed below and possess a minimum of two years of post-secondary education (#9), or the equivalent hours of sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter hours.
Education Courses & Requirements
- Ohio Real Estate Law (40 hours)
- Ohio Real Estate Principles & Practices (40 hours)
- Real Estate Appraisal (20 hours)
- Real Estate Finance (20 hours)
- A Financial Management course
- A Human Resources or Personnel Management course
- An Applied Business Economics course
- A Business Law course
- A minimum of two years of post-secondary education, or equivalent hours of (60) sixty semester or (90) ninety quarter hours. Courses #5 – 8 may be included in your postsecondary education
Experience Requirements – 20 transactions
The Division calculates the transactions to ensure the applicant meets a total of twenty (20) by using the following formulas:
- Listing agent in the sale of property owned by another = ½ transaction
- Selling agent in the sale of property owned by another = ½ transaction
- Listing agent in the lease of commercial or industrial real estate owned by another for a term of at least one year = ½ transaction
- Procuring agent in the lease of commercial or industrial real estate owned by another for a term of at least one year = ½ transaction
- Listing and /or procuring agent in the lease of four residential real estate properties owned by another for a term of at least one-year = 1 transaction
An applicant for an Ohio broker’s license should submit:
- A Broker Examination Application with $135.00 fee.
- Proof of completion of all Education Requirements (A copy of official transcripts or course completion certificates)
The applicant must also complete a criminal records check of both state & FBI records. Information on performing a background check can be found on the Broker Examination Application.
Once the Division processes a complete application, the applicant’s information is sent to the testing vendor. The testing vendor will process the information and send a Candidate Information Bulletin with instructions on scheduling the exams.
The applicant must pass the State and National portions of the Ohio Real Estate Broker exam in order for a license to be issued. Passing score: 75
For more information, contact the Ohio Division of Real Estate & Professional Licensing at 614-466-4100