Requirements for an Ohio Real Estate Salesperson’s License
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a United States citizen or a legal alien* (must provide proof of being a legal alien)
- Be honest, truthful and of good reputation.
- Not have been convicted of a felony or a crime of moral turpitude. Not have violated any civil rights laws regarding real estate within the past two years as determined by a court of law or violated any rules of the Ohio Division of Real Estate. In some circumstances, it is possible to have a conviction or violation disregarded, which would allow you to sit for the exam. The Division may only make a determination with respect to a conviction or violation if you file an application. For additional information on this process, contact the Division directly or review the additional information found on the Division’s website.
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent as recognized by the Ohio Department of Education if you were born after 1950.
- Be sponsored by an Ohio broker.
Complete the education requirements:
- Real Estate Principles and Practices (40 hours)
- Ohio Real Estate Law, including instruction in civil rights, housing discrimination and desegregation problems (40 hours)
- Real Estate Appraisal (20 hours)
- Real Estate Finance (20 hours)
Please note: Any person who has not been licensed as a real estate salesperson or broker within a four-year period immediately preceding his/her current application for the salesperson’s exam must have completed the above instruction within a 10-year period immediately preceding the current salesperson application. This education must have been completed at an institution of higher education that awards a degree in at least a two-year program [i.e. an associate degree].
An applicant for an Ohio salesperson’s license should submit:
- A completed Salesperson Examination Application with $81.00 fee. (Note: If you answer “yes” to any of the Ethical Conduct questions, please submit a detailed explanation. Your application will be reviewed by our Legal staff.)
- Proof of completion of the Education Requirements (a copy of official transcripts or course completion certificates)
The applicant must also complete a criminal records check of both state & FBI records. Information on performing a background check can be found on the Salesperson Examination Application.
Once the Division processes a complete application, the applicant’s information is sent to the testing vendor.
The testing vendor will process the information and send a Candidate Information Bulletin with instructions on scheduling the exams.
The applicant must pass the State and National portions of the Ohio Real Estate Salesperson Exam in order for a license to be issued. Passing score: 70