Requirements for an Ohio Real Estate Salesperson’s License
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a United States citizen or a legal alien* (must provide proof of being a legal alien)
- Be honest and truthful.
- Has not been convicted of a disqualifying offense as determined in accordance with section 9.79 of the Revised Code.
- Has not been finally adjudged by a court to have violated any municipal, state, or federal civil rights laws relevant to the protection of purchasers or sellers of real estate or, if the applicant has been so adjudged, at least two years have passed since the court decision and the superintendent has disregarded the adjudication because the applicant has proven, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the applicant is honest and truthful, and there is no basis in fact for believing that the applicant again will violate the laws involved.
- Has not, during any period in which the applicant was licensed under this chapter, violated any provision of, or any rule adopted pursuant to this chapter, or, if the applicant has violated such provision or rule, has established to the satisfaction of the superintendent that the applicant will not again violate such provision or rule;
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent as recognized by the Ohio Department of Education if you were born after 1950.
- Be sponsored by an Ohio broker.
Complete the education requirements:
- Real Estate Principles and Practices (40 hours)
- Ohio Real Estate Law, including instruction in civil rights, housing discrimination and desegregation problems (40 hours)
- Real Estate Appraisal (20 hours)
- Real Estate Finance (20 hours)
Please note: Any person who has not been licensed as a real estate salesperson or broker within a four-year period immediately preceding his/her current application for the salesperson’s exam must have completed the above instruction within a 10-year period immediately preceding the current salesperson application. This education must have been completed at an institution of higher education that awards a degree in at least a two-year program [i.e. an associate degree].
An applicant for an Ohio salesperson’s license should submit:
- A completed Salesperson Examination Application with $81.00 fee. (Note: If you answer “yes” to any of the Ethical Conduct questions, please submit a detailed explanation. Your application will be reviewed by our Legal staff.)
- Proof of completion of the Education Requirements (a copy of official transcripts or course completion certificates)
The applicant must also complete a criminal records check of both state & FBI records. Information on performing a background check can be found on the Salesperson Examination Application.
Once the Division processes a complete application, the applicant’s information is sent to the testing vendor.
The testing vendor will process the information and send a Candidate Information Bulletin with instructions on scheduling the exams.
The applicant must pass the State and National portions of the Ohio Real Estate Salesperson Exam in order for a license to be issued. Passing score: 70