Fire & Explosion Investigations
The Fire & Explosion Investigation Bureau is a law enforcement agency tasked with investigating the origin and cause of fire, explosions and fireworks incidents in Ohio. Investigators stand ready, 24 hours a day, to assist local fire and law enforcement in combating the crime of arson and bringing perpetrators to justice.
FEIB’s mission is to investigate fires of a suspicious nature, suspected arson, bombings, and any other associated crime(s) and assist with the prosecution of those responsible for incidents determined to be criminal in nature.
FEIB began as the Arson Bureau in 1901 and was the first official agency that investigated arson in the United States. The arson bureau branched out to encompass post blast investigations around 1999 and the name was changed to the Fire and Explosion Investigations Bureau (FEIB).
Currently, all FEIB investigators are Ohio-certified peace officers along with being members of the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) and the National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI). FEIB investigates up to 1,200 fires annually.
Our principle operations include:
- Investigating the origin, cause and circumstances of major fires and explosions in the state of Ohio.
- Arrest and prosecute persons believed to be guilty of arson, bombings, illegal explosives, illegal fireworks and other related offenses.
- In partnership with the SFM Forensic Lab, offer expert criminal and forensic investigation service to fire departments, police/sheriff departments, coroners and prosecutors
- Provide training programs to all levels of public safety to first responders, as well as judges, prosecutors and coroners
We are partners with the following agencies:
- SFM Forensic Lab, SFM Code Enforcement Bureau, Fire Prevention Bureau, Ohio Fire Academy, SFM Testing & Registration Bureau
- All Ohio fire, sheriff and police departments
- Ohio Highway Patrol
- Regional bomb squads
- Ohio Homeland Security STACC (State Fusion Center)
- Ohio Attorney General/BCI
- Ohio Department of Insurance (ODI)
- Federal Agencies: ATF, DEA, FBI, USMS, DHS
Local agencies requesting an investigator (Available 24/7): 1-800-589-2728 (Option 1)
FEIB Office (Available 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday): 1-800-589-2728 (Option 2) or 1-614-752-7106
FEIB Email: email@example.com
FEIB Fax: 614-644-1442