Web Content Viewer
Temporary (Event) Permit Info
Temporary (Event) Permit Info

Temporary (Event) Permit Info

Useful Tips

Ohio has many different kinds of temporary permits.

  • To learn more about who qualifies for each type temporary permit and what types of alcohol you can sell at each event, including any other unique rules or limitations, view the Temporary FAQ Chart.

Heading 2

For faster processing, apply online!

  • The benefit of using our online portal is that you can:
    • Submit documents; and
    • Use more secure and convenient payment options like credit card and electronic debits.
  • Create an account and get started today!

Applications must be sent to the Division at least 30 days in advance of your event. 

  • In addition to processing the paperwork with your application, many temporary permit applications require the Division to get infomation from your local county board of elections so that the Division can determine whether alcohol sales are allowed (i.e., wet/dry status) at your event location.
    • Just because a bar is located two blocks away that sells alcohol does not mean that your location can sell alcohol.
    • Generally, the ability to sell alcohol at a particular location is both applicant and location specific.
  • We need your application on file before we can request this information from the local board of elections.
  • Therefore, you run the risk of not having a permit in time for your event if it is sent to us less than 30 days from the event date since we may not have the needed information to determine whether sales are legally allowed at your location.

Temporary permit holders are, minus very limited exceptions, subject to the same rules as any other on-premises D class permit holder.

  • This means that a temporary permit holder must (below list is not exclusive):
    • Purchase its alcohol from either a licensed manufacturer or distributor
    • You cannot go to your local grocery store and buy beer/wine and resell it at your event;
    • Prevent underage sales and not serve intoxicated patrons; and
    • Minus any limited exceptions, not violate Ohio’s Tied House laws, which means that the temporary permit holder cannot accept help (financial or labor) from a licensed manufacturer or distributor.
    • Exclusive agreements like I’ll give you “x” money if you agree to sell only my beer are not permitted.
  • Remember, the temporary permit holder is responsible for any liquor permit violations that occur at the event so be careful if you decide to have other groups/companies assist with running your event as it is your reputation and permit that is on the line. 
  • An application does not mean that your permit has been issued. You must have your permit document in hand before you can start purchasing and selling alcohol for your event.

Liquor permitting, including temporary permits, can be legally complex. While Division staff will answer questions to the best of its ability, staff cannot provide legal advice. Likewise, this document should not be taken as legal advice. Any legal questions you have should be directed to a private attorney.